User Account Management is the tool used to email students, caregivers and staff their initial Spider login credentials. When students’ staff and caregivers are created within PCSchool, an Identity record is also created. If your school has set up the “Default Securities”, the Identity user will automatically be assigned to the default Security User. if this has not been done, there is an update process to achieve this.
Single Sign On Schools:
Single Sign On takes precedence over PCSchool in-built logins: this tool will not update login details back to the SSO provider (in most cases).
Active Directory users:
Schools using AD authentication may have caregivers synched and configured through AD, meaning the caregivers must manage their AD login rather than the PCSchool in-built credentials. If your school uses AD for staff, this doesn’t ensure AD is used for caregivers, nor students: AD authentication would be managed per user type.
When you wish to send out an email to parents so they can log into Spider
- In back office give the parents the required security
- Send email to caregivers within Spider
Step 1: It is recommended to do an SQL Backup done before doing this.
Step 2: Path: Scholastic>Utilities>Identity Management
1. Bring in families to Identity (This will not create duplicates if they already exist)
2. Proceed – [Yes]
- [User Id] – select dropdown box
- [Name] – Your #Caregiver# group from drop down
- Select what you would like to Reset by placing a tick in the appropriate box. resetting should only be done if this is an initial import as it will affect curent users
- [Reset Passwords]
- [Reset all Family Usernames to Family Key]
- [Reset User Equivalance for ALL Records]
- [Create Alumi from Family records] (This is only used if you are going to be using the Alumni for current families)
Step 3: Log on to Spider
Path: Setup and Utilities>Spider Management>User Account Management
Complete options you wish to use – you can also send to a a tagset if required (catch-up or just new logins)
Allow Users to Update Username:
- Always Allowed
- Not Allowed (Most times you would probably use this one)
- Allowed if username does not exist
We recommend you send a test email to yourself before emailing to the intended recipients
This sends the following email to the caregiver: (This email template can be customised)
Suggestions for email templates:
For first time users using our Parent Portal:
Please click the link below to get your username and set your password. If you already have a login and you have forgotten your credentials, please click on below link to
get your username and reset your password.
Note: This message reminds existing caregivers about their login, while new caregivers can setup their login for the first time. Specifically within Freedom model schools, identifying caregivers who weren’t already logging in is a very complex / difficult task, so generally not used by schools. A caregiver for an incoming student may also have another relationship to a current student, and depending upon previous choices by the school, that caregiver may not have been provided with a login previously.
When users click the link from the email, they will see below and can then change/set their credentials, regardless of whether they are new or existing caregivers, students, or staff.
Example: Copy of the email the parents receive – they can then click on the link – and change their password